Interim Head of Legal
WEX Europe Services Limited (WES) is Europe’s newest fuel card provider, born from a joint venture between U.S. based WEX Inc. and UK based Radius Payment Solutions. The parent companies bring over 50 years of experience to the industry.
WES aim to be Europe’s leading fuel card provider by 2020. With the Esso card commercial portfolio as our foundation, we are poised to introduce a proprietary platform into the market. This will allow for multi-card development, superior functionality, and improved customer experience; positioning us to capitalise on volume generation opportunities.
The Head of Legal, WEX Europe Services, provides primary legal support to the WEX Europe Services (“WES”) business unit. This position sits on the WES Senior Leadership Team and has management responsibility of the WES Legal team. The position supports WES’ revenue and growth opportunities in Europe, and ensures that WES minimizes risk and exposure from a financial, legal, governance and compliance perspective. Position objectives are to be a trusted leader and strategic advisor to support the business on contracts, applicable regulations, corporate governance and compliance. In addition, this role will be responsible for providing advice and guidance in business development and strategic growth, labour and employment and litigation. These actions support the company’s business growth, protect its reputation and ensure a solid business foundation.
As a trusted advisor and senior leader, the Head of Legal, WEX Europe Services will provide general in-house support for all legal matters concerning the company’s European operations, including contracts, business transactions, regulatory and compliance, labour and employment and corporate governance. This person will:
- Provide other legal advice and support to the company’s card programs in Europe, including legislative, regulatory and compliance issues relevant to the Fleet industry.
- Negotiate and draft a variety of agreements including with customers, suppliers and strategic partners.
- Support business development activities, including RFPs and contract negotiations.
- Manage the books and records of the company and its subsidiaries in compliance with applicable laws.
- Working closely with compliance, develop and maintain policies and procedures to protect the company.
- Provide support to human resources on employment issues.
- Responsible for engaging, instructing and managing outside counsel in local and international jurisdictions.
Education & Experience :
The Head of Legal, WEX Europe Services will have knowledge of applicable laws in Europe and how they impact the company’s systems, processes and products. The candidate will have a high standard for excellence and will thrive in a fast moving environment. The candidate must be self-driven and capable of acting highly autonomously, engaging in decision making that in the long term is designed to improve the economic value of the company. The candidate will be able to translate the positions’ various duties and strategic objectives into clearly documented and actionable steps. The candidate must have a desire to understand their own strengths and developmental needs, act upon feedback and demonstrate personal initiative to expand knowledge of law so as to add value to the company. The candidate must analyse complex legal issues to mitigate risks and promote market growth and opportunities and must stay current on emerging legal trends and resulting acts and regulations.
The Head of Legal, WEX Europe Services should have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Qualified lawyer with 5+ years post-admission experience in a well-regarded firm or corporation.
- General corporate, commercial and corporate secretarial/governance experience.
- Commercial contract expertise.
- Experience in European financial/payment services legislation and regulations.
- Labour and employment matters associated with contracts, policies and terminations.
- Experience in effectively managing direct reports, and driving their individual success.
- Experience reporting into a corporate group structure (global preferred).
Personal Skills and Attributes:
- Must be detail oriented and resourceful with excellent follow through skills.
- Strong analytical, drafting, research, organization and interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Ability to quickly identify critical issues and advocate successfully for the company.
- Ability to establish facts, draw valid conclusions and exercise sound judgment in making decisions and performing duties.
- Exceptional stakeholder management and collaboration skills.
- Ability to act nimbly and flexibly and respond to changing business drivers effectively.
- Ability to work well under deadlines.
- Applicant must work well in a team environment, yet have the ability to work independently and autonomously with limited supervision.
- Applicant must be a self-starter and be able to multi-task.
- Must pass a successful background investigation.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- A competitive salary.
- Performance driven bonus scheme.
- Car Allowance
- Pension scheme (after qualifying period).
- Life Assurance.
- Generous holiday allowance.
- Employee Discounts via Perkbox.
- Complimentary fresh fruit and hot drinks.