Offset the CO2 emissions created by your journey
At WEX Europe Services, we firmly believe that sustainability means supporting our customers to make our world better. That’s why we’ve partnered with WeForest, an environmental conservation organisation that works on reforestation projects around the world, to provide a simple, no-hassle way for Esso Card™ customers to reduce their impact on the environment.
What is ‘carbon off-setting’?
Carbon offsetting is an internationally recognised way to counter-balance – or offset – unavoidable carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, by investing in projects that reduce the level of CO2 in the atmosphere, such as tree planting. These projects, over time, offset the amount of CO2 that businesses produce.
In simple terms, offsetting one tonne of CO2 means there will be one less tonne of CO2 in the atmosphere than there would otherwise have been, because the amount of CO2 has been absorbed by the trees that have been planted.
By choosing to offset your CO2 emissions through Eco Miles, you’ll be supporting projects that deliver value for the environment on a global level.
What are the benefits of Eco Miles?
The emergence of global corporate ‘sustainability’ rankings shows the increasing pressure on organisations to measure and reduce their impact on the environment.
- Is cost effective and high impact
- Can deliver real, verified emissions reductions
- Is simple and immediate
Eco Miles offers the opportunity for your business to:
- Support the global challenge of reducing CO2
- Differentiate from less responsible brands
- Inspire your workforce to engage with carbon reduction activities
How Eco Miles works
Carbon offsetting through forestry projects is the primary focus of Eco Miles, through our partnership with WeForest, an environmental conservation organisation that assesses, monitors and implements reforestation projects around the world.
We believe trees are the best solution for removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and reverse global warming:
- Forests balance the earth’s water-cycle – essential for cooling our climate
- Forests play a vital role in stabilising the climate by sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere and fixing it into soils and biomass
- 50% of a tree’s biomass is carbon, which means they act as ‘carbon sinks’, unless the tree decays or is burned
- Globally, forests are estimated to hold more CO2 than the atmosphere
WeForest works with communities, organisations and NGOs to develop scalable reforestation projects, demonstrating how it is possible to mobilise communities and restore degraded soils. The environmental conservation organisation is developing a network of small and large companies around the world, like WEX Europe Services, who are committed to taking action.
Offsetting through Eco Miles allows us to choose from a range of WeForest projects that are designed to protect the environment and preserve woodlands.